Sunday, March 29, 2015

Ujjayi


If you blindfolded me in a yoga studio just two months ago and told me to get my "Ujjayi" going, I'd probably attempt a straddle on the back and do some kegels.  (Something about the word makes me think of the urogenital system).

Now that I know better,  I will keep my legs closed and prepare for some deep, cleansing, calming pranayama.  

Consider how most harried urbanites breathe.  We take quick oxygen from the nostrils to barely the neck and shoulders.  It's expelled just as quickly.  Shallow and short, our daily breathing patterns are not beneficial for optimal health.

In contrast, Ujjayi, is a deep, murmuring breath gliding down the back of the throat, regulated by slow, even contractions of the diaphragm. 

Let's try this.  Pretend you're some creepy stalker.  Whisper to your captive: "Hallo Hahn." Make it creepier.  Draw out the "H" and whisper, "Hhhhhallo Hhhhhhahn."  (Like Hannibal Lecter has laryngitis in Hamburg while trying to intimidate FBI's German liason, Herr Hahn).

Lost?
Okay, watch me first:
Inhale (mouth open) with: "Hhhhhhhhhaaaahhhhh"
Exhale (mouth open) with: "Hhhhhhhhhhaaaahhhhh."
Your turn.

Next step.  Watch me first:
Inhale.  Mouth open, draw, "hhhhhhhaaaaaahhhh." Bring lips together before the exhale.
Exhale.  Mouth closed, whisper over the glottis.
Your turn.

If you find yourself frustrated on the simultaneous Exhale + Closed Mouth + Whisper, try to imitate someone who is in a deep sleep / pre-snore stage.

Now you're ready to Ujjayi like a true yogini.
Watch me keep the mouth closed all throughout.
Inhale (whisper).
Exhale (whisper).
Your turn.

They say the whisper sounds like the ocean.  I don't know.  To me it sounds like a Sleestak.  If you were born after the 80's, google Sleestak and Youtube.  Then tune into the shortest clip.  Listen carefully.

So why Ujjayi?  Well, for starters, Ujjayi is known as the "victorious breath" because it moves you from one asana to another.  Off the mat, it's said to be great for lowering the heart rate and blood pressure as it stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system.

I put my Ujjayi to the test at the airport security line.  This is one place that induces some anxiety and impatience for me.  I was more than willing to be my own guinea pig for this real-life trial.  Conclusion:  just focusing on my Ujjayi breathing put me in a mellow state.  And I moved with less struggle from one action to another until I was free to go to my gate. 

So the next time you're on a crowded supermarket line, at the DMV, or airport security, turn on your Ujjayi breath.  At the very least, the person behind you might find it odd and give you some space.

Namaste ~e

No comments:

Post a Comment